For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Re: If the internet went down today, what ..

Guest GKool

Well, Sometimes bellsouth goes down and we cant log in. When our system went down we just chalked it up to one of thsoe things.

I have an old fashioned typewriter and many hand written manuscripts> We also have loads of board games and funny things called newspapers available. Up until 9 years ago it wasnt that important, but over time it became a major communication item. Like job shoping is so much faster this way.

So in a way we would be lost. But we would get over it..wait who am I kidding I would have a panic attack!

julie

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Travis

• lucy1b1

• Tammy

• Pd

I am afraid that I would be pretty lost without the internet.  I would feel completely out of touch with everyone and everything.  However, when my old computer got a virus and I couldn't get on it for a while, I dealt with it ok.  Of course, I did have to go to my parents everyday and check my email!

That would suck, I mean I couldn't play World Of Warcraft.  I can feel the withdraws coming as I think about this.  If it did happen I would probably go fishing alot.

I honestly don't know what I would do if the internet went down today. My whole life is effected by the internet. At work we use the internet for all kinds of things. I guess we could go back to the old ways of doing things. My Ebay business would be closed instantly and I would be stuck with all kinds of inventory. Please don't let the internet go down!  :'(

I can't even imagine what would happen without the internet.  It has brought so much success and failure to our world that without it I think the majority of the world would be lost. Just think, even the military runs most if not all of its systems through government based internet so it can connect with other parts of the world.  Imagine life without the military, it would be good I guess because it would stop tons of violence, but just imagine the chaos.

My internet does go down quite a lot - I live in Bulgaria and for some reason every time it rains, electrical appliances stop working properly!

I absolutely detest it when it happens though. I feel like someone has cut my arms off! I don't have a home phone and I rely on the internet for VOIP and email to stay sane. I spend quite a lot of time at home with my toddler, and without some contact with the world outside of Pingu and Lego I would surely go stircrazy!

When the internet goes down for a short time, it can be a small relief. I might open up a book or even have a catnap! But if the internet was off for a whole day???? Unimaginable!

I consider it necessary to escape from 'electric life' every now and then, so I consider a temporary outage of the internet a relief as opposed to a tragedy. It affords me time to do some work about the house without the craving of constant information. I can open a book, or work in the garden without having to worry about answering the next incoming email. Perhaps this is because I consider the outage to be 'out of my hands' and, therefore, my conventional duties are rendered unimportant.

Were a permanent down to occur, I suppose I would fall back on the older communicative technologies that we take for granted (most specifically, the telephone) in order to organize myself and learn to adapt without the 'world' at my fingertips, so to speak. I would most likely find myself at a university in order to maintain some access to academic information.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember visiting Israel in 1996 - everybody had mobile phones. It was quite a novelty for me and people I spoke to told me that they could not imagine life without their mobile phone.  They were very prevalent in Israel at the time because the cost of calls was free within the country.

At the time I thought that it would never catch on. Now I can't imagine not having the convenience of a mobile phone.

The same goes for the internet - I find it hard to imagine life without it. Never mind life without the internet - I can't imagine life without broadband access.

It is somewhat sad I suppose - but we have to accept our world. We are people of this era.

So, if the internet went down today I would probably watch the news to find out what was going on, why the internet had gone down and when we could expect to get it back.

Without the Internet it would reduce the options of what to do in my leisure time...but on the plus side it would also reduce the opportunity to spend my money on pointless stuff.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

OMG! I don't even want to think about it. I would probably go into withdrawals. I am totally an internet junkie! I can live for a while without it and be alright, but after a bit, I would definitely be one very irritated person that's for sure. I use the internet for a lot of research and without it I would be at a loss and very inconvenienced. :(

I would struggle without the internet. I use it for banking, shopping, paying bills, sorting my car insurance and, more recently, searching for a job!  It has become a tool of convenience for me and I rely very heavily on it. Maybe I shouldn't, as you never know what could happen tomorrow!

• 2 weeks later...

If the internet went down today I would probably freak out because I have a paper due on Tuesday that requires me to do online research.  :P But my school has pretty crappy internet service as it is, so it wouldn't really come as a shock if it did happen...

However, if the internet went down forever? I'd feel lost at first, but then I think I'd be happy about it. I've found that I really enjoy when I'm on vacation in an area that has no internet access--I'm much less stressed, and I can spend more time doing offline things that I enjoy. So while the lack of internet would be sad, it wouldn't cause me to self-destruct or anything.  ;)

If the Internet went down today, what would I do... After reading posts from other writers, it´s pretty clear to me that a lot of us would be either in a stage of panic or in big trouble. It got me thinking. it´s really not that long ago when internet wasn´t available for everyone. How did we manage to get along then? It´s actually quite scaring how dependent we actually are... I guess it would a shock at the beginning to all of us, but I´m sure we would find some additional ways of compensating internet.

I'm sure that I would adjust quite nicely considering I went for over 30 years without the internet.  However, that doesn't mean that it wouldn't sadden me greatly during the adjustment period.  Now that I work exclusively from home over the internet, it would also mean that I would have to go back out and get an outside job again - yuck! 

It's the younger generation that I worry about if something catastrophic should happen.  Those in their teens and early twenties, especially.  I have three children in that age range (from 15 to 23).  My son wouldn't be an issue but my daughters would be lost without internet access and cell phones.  You know if something wiped out the internet, the cell phones would be gone, too.

I've fielded questions from all three of them through the past few years so I know they would be in trouble.  I've told them that the libraries were well suited to research long before Google came on the scene but they are clueless as to how to actually do physical research.  That I blame on the schools as they should be showing the kids how to do real research instead of relying on search engines.

• 2 weeks later...

Each time my personal internet connection goes down, I do panic. Yes I have to admit, I am addicted to the internet. Even before I started doing professional writing jobs online, I spent a large percentage of my time online. Sometimes, I wonder if my children's most prominent memories of me will be of me on my laptop. As a mother of four children, I cherish the opportunity to talk with other adults. I have established many friends online and now my primary source of income is from the internet.

Whenever I have to take my laptop in for service, I beg for a replacement so I will still be able to get online everyday. I do have other desktop computers at home, but I love my laptop. I love the convenience of being able to take my computer with me everywhere. I usually find a free wi-fi spot in town, to do my online writing jobs, while my kids are in dance, drama or sports.

If the whole internet went down for a long period of time or indefinitely, the whole economy would be affected. It is amazing how many different systems are tied into the world wide web; our banking systems, power, gas, water, etc. There are actually too many operations to name realistically. Our economy would be in worse condition than it is now.

If the internet was down today, I know I'd be at my laptop, refreshing the IE page every few minutes to see if it has returned!  I guess it would give me an opportunity to get out of the house and live life! :)

A lot of businesses would be scrambling to get things back up and running.  ISP call centers would be flooded with calls.  I work for an ISP in a call center and the thought of the internet going down gives me chills.  It's bad enough when a small portion goes down lol. 

As for personally, I wouldn't know what to do with myself.  A majority of my life seems to be here on the internet.  It seems that in these times, we are all so greatly connected to the internet that the loss of it would be staggering.  One of my old professors said in class once "the easier we make things, the more complicated things get."  Words to live by in my opinion.  The internet makes things easier and if the internet would go down today, things would get a lot more complicated. At least until it's fixed  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, I would feel really bad. The moment I get up from my bed, I eagerly look forward to getting logged on to the internet. Sometimes, I feel totally let down when my internet is down due to technical snag. When my operating system is affected owing to virus attack, I suspend all other work and take measures to see that my system is back to normal. In short, I just love the internet. For me, internet is the source of outside contact, keeping in touch with friends and relatives, a way to relax and also to make money.

Bob

:)

I doubt much of human society could live without the internet.

People don't just use it for entertainment, they use it to make money, connect with new people, learn new things, and it's also used in medical procedures.

Modern medicine is a miracle, thanks to computers and that sort of thing.

If the Internet went down today, I think I would be at a standstill because my job involves keeping my company connected to the outside world.  Let's face it, in many places of the world, companies are dependent on the Internet for their business survival.  That's why there are so many redundant servers located around the world in undisclosed locations. 

Guest ferodynamics

You reminded me of this cartoon:

internet-down.bmp

I just got a new bank account, at Chase, and they really pushed the electronic-everything on me, they said it's to protect me from mail fraud.  Anyway, I'm not complaining.  Less paper, more trees, right? 

If my connection went down I would be mortified!! I hadn't realised how much of my life revolved around the internet until now, and it's quite horrifying to think I could loose my connection. Any sane person would probably take the day off, but I would probably take my computer apart or something to try and fix it.

I for one would really be lost without it. I get so much information from the internet, also  I can buy things that I need at a really good price like a down jacket on ebay valued at two hundred dollars for ten dollars never worn.

Now this one is a hard one. If my internet were down today,

I definitely will look something else to do like walking my dogs

to the park or hang out with my family.

It usually will not takes forever for the internet to back up again.