For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Equal rights at home

marvinmacs

Fathers across cultures are stereo-typed as stone cold, indifferent to feelings, etc. An array of circumstances have led to this. But what's disturbing is the unspoken feeling among fathers that they are excluded in home affairs. Some of these fathers are now speaking up.

Don't you think our laws should provide equal rights to men and women at home in as much as men and women are given equal rights in work places?

I know this thread can be controversial. But let's discuss this in the spirit of harmony. There are husbands and wives out there who truly love each other and enjoy each other's company. This thread is for those who are confused about what society is telling them. Let's be the good guys.

Personally, I think the government should quit trying to legislate personal freedom, period. What happens in the home should be the business of the people in the home, unless it violates an already-established law. I think "laws" that "provide" equality are ridiculous. It's just discrimination in a different way. The only way to get rid of discrimination is to forget about color and gender and do things based on knowledge and skill, and the willingness to learn and work.

I go with Perfect. The only reason why there "equality" laws because people are discriminating other groups of people. For me, I'd rather concentrate on teaching the students about equality rather than pushing a law that equality is a must in the society. There is nothing wrong having equal rights but it shouldn't be a law.

I think that if a husband is feeling abused at home, even emotionally or mentally, that he should feel that there is someone to turn to and defend him when he rightfully reports it. I don't think that most cases marvin is talking about would be considered "abuse," though, and more along the lines of something that couples should learn to talk more about and work together to fix.

I don't think husbands are totally excluded in home affairs. It is just that most of the guys are more excited with physical and outdoor activities like sports and the like and other manly events like business etc. etc. . In my case, I never get the chance to ignore my husband in any family affairs. He keeps on reminding me that he is interested in everything that me and my kids will do. It doesn't matter if it will be a shopping for moment for the kids, kid's graduation and more. Hubby is always present in every event. ;)

When I find myself a husband I hope that he will be my equal in every way and that I will be his! I think it is so important for a woman to support her husband emotionally so that there is a safe place for him to discuss how he feels. I think a wife should be a good listener and help her husband work through any feelings he might have about home life. I think a husband and wife should work together harmoniously to keep a deep and true line of communication open so that they can be an equal team. Of course, maybe this is why I don't have a husband.  :-\

It really upsets me that men are viewed one way while women are viewed another. Everyone is different. Not all guys are the distant, "I don't care about my kids" type, and not all women are loving. My mother is the perfect example of a mom who acted like what people think a "guy" should be like. It's really sad.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi QueenB! Thanks for sharing your insight on the subject. This stereotyping thing is not healthy. Everyone is different, as you have said. Not everyone fits the description. What I find most unfortunate, if I must describe it that way, is the impression that untrained minds tend to have due to society's influence.

I believe many would catch themselves saying things like, "Hey, Dads don't do that!" or "Moms don't do that!" Some of these impressions read like, "Hey, you're a Dad now. You are supposed to be cold and mean. Your wife is supposed to hate you and you're supposed to have a 'get out of here' attitude. But you're not! Man, something's wrong somewhere. Seek a counselor!"