For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Your coldest swim?

marvinmacs

When I went to Finland for a mission, our hosts treated us to a night of beer, stories and fun in a woodland with a sauna and small lakes. After spending time in the sauna, we took a 15-min dip in the cold lake. This is the northern part of Finland, near the Arctic circle. I thought that was a very cold swim. After all, I'm from a tropical region close to the equator.

But then they told us that some European guys actually swim in lakes with ice still on them. That I thought was absolutely crazy.

What's your coldest (and craziest) swim?

Once, when my parents lived in an apartment complex in Texas, I drove out to visit them.  It was April, early April in fact.  Their apartment complex had a beautiful swimming pool, but, being early April, the water was still very cold and no one was swimming.  I decided I wanted to swim, so I dove in.  The water was sooooo cold.  As soon as I jumped in, I started shivering, uncontrollably.  My muscles started to spasm so I couldn't swim, and I hung on the side for dear life.  Thankfully my Dad was there, all 280 muscular pounds of him, and he literally reached down and grabbed me, under my arms, and pulled me out of the water.  It took several hot showers for me to quit shivering.  I'll never do that again.

You were in danger of suffering from hypothermia. Dangerous indeed. Didn't that experience cause some kind of phobia for swimming pools or ice? Hope it didn't.

We once went to Tenerife in February and although the sun shone and it was shorts and T shirts weather during the day, it was cool at night and the outdoor swimming pool was so cold I could not get my shoulders underneath. It just took my breath away! My daughter was only twelve at the time and she swam in it easily enough. I have seen people breaking the ice on the river Thames in London!

• 2 weeks later...

You were in danger of suffering from hypothermia. Dangerous indeed. Didn't that experience cause some kind of phobia for swimming pools or ice? Hope it didn't.

Marvin, no, it didn't.  I still love to swim, just no more swimming in icy cold water.  I wait until  June or July now to swim.  Unless, of course, it's at an indoor heated pool.

But I'm very lucky my dad was there to lift me out of the water.  I couldn't get out myself.  I was as stiff as a statue.  Not only did he have to pull me out of the water, but he had to carry me inside the apartment and place me in the bathtub.  Imagine me, a 30'ish year old at the time, being carried by my father, lol.