For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Frustration to the nth degree!

Silva

For those of you who aren't British, let me just say briefly that in the UK we are required to insure our vehicles every year and we get a discount according to how many years we have of not claiming on the insurance, which is called a "no claims bonus" or NCB. Because I always shop around for the best price, we usually change insurers every year. Our last insurance expired on 31st October but today we received a letter from our new insurers to say that our last insurer, CIS, refused to confirm how much NCB because the policy is still in force!

You would not believe how many phone calls I have made today to both insurers, going through the same numerous security checks each time, being told by one person that the policy had been cancelled, and another that it hadn't. We haven't paid for it to be renewed for goodness sake! All of the telephone numbers are 0844 numbers which cost more than regular calls and on one occasion, because I asked to speak to his manager, one guy left me waiting for 28 minutes before I hung up and phoned someone else.

I eventually spoke to a helpful woman at CIS who telephoned my new insurer with the information but when I checked, the new insurers said that they could not accept a telephone call like that as it could be anyone. Give me strength!!! Luckily, she was prepared to phone CIS whilst I waited  and they finally gave her the required information. Phew!!!

Wow, what a pain! You definitely have it more difficult there than we have it here in the USA. We tend to stick with one insurer for years, though, so we have less hassle just in that! :)

Do you save enough by switching to make it worth the hassle?  Our policies run for 6 months, but I am happy enough with my provider that I automatically renew.  I cannot imagine switching carriers every year.

To give an example, last year I used price comparison sites and found fully comprehensive, with legal cover, protected NCB and breakdown cover for £204 then I bought it through a cashback site and got £70 back. This year our renewal was £250 so if I'd gone with the same company I'd have paid £116 more. By using comparison sites I found the same insurance for £204 and I bought it through a cash back site again and got £61 back, so it is actually costing only £143. It is more hassle but saves money and as I'm retired, I have the time to do it.

I feel your pain Silva! We hadn't had any accidents until last year and both of us had one, plus I was with a friend when she had one. So, as a result our insurance has raised to more than $200 a month. That's full coverage but no breakdown coverage. We have to buy that through Triple A or our Retirement organization, AARP. In the state of Kentucky we are required to carry insurance or lose our driver's license. But we only have to have liability which covers the other person's car and property. We have our vehicle financed so they require us to carry comprehensive (full coverage) along with coverage to cover the amount financed. Whew!

I totally identify with frustration about insurance. Sometimes I despair that anyone in the industry has any common sense at all.

How annoying! Oh my gosh >:( Things like that really stress me out. I don't like sitting on the phone for hours upon hours, getting transfered from person to person etc. It gets old so fast.

Buddys I'm sorry to hear of your accidents. Luckily we haven't had any, touch wood, but it's a legal requirement here to have car insurance and a road fund licence. Because my Sam has had no accidents and has a full NCB, he gets a 70% discount on his insurance, plus he gets it cheaper because he has been driving for 50 years so you can imagine how much it would cost for a young person's insurance. I have seen it in the thousands.

QueenB, I also hate being passed from person to person and it gets frustrating when one person tells you that they have sorted the problem only to speak to another person who says the problem still exists! We got it sorted eventually though. ;)

I would have blown my top if I were in your shoes. But then that would just have made things worse. Any chance you could charge the first insurer for your phone bill? They clearly harassed you and that can work both ways, you know. So, come on, why not have fun and send them the bill through your lawyer? See how they would reply. Address the bill to the Chairman or the President, just so they'd have a wake up call.

Marvinmacs, I was very tempted to do just that, however since the last solicitor I used charged £25 to send a letter, I don't think it would be very cost effective! Besides, the very nice lady from Manchester called Elaine, to whom I finally spoke, went out of her way to assist thus making up for all the earlier incompetence. I may just write a letter praising her efforts and condemning her incompetent colleagues.

I like your attitude Silva. That's exceptional of you indeed. I sense that praising that very helpful person in a letter addressed to the President of that company would accomplish much more than what I initially proposed. It would do two things very well: (a) commend the person who deserves the acknowledgement and (B) alert the President about your situation. Doing it positively would earn you favor from the company who would find it a shame not to have been very courteous to a fine person like you. That would be absolutely cool.