For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Helping an elderly neighbour with her laptop.

Silva

I'm elderly myself well, I'm in my sixties, but I know a little bit about computers so I find myself being called upon by all of my neighbours to assist them.

One lady has been given a laptop so that she can speak to her brother in South Africa and I have been helping her to install Skype. She says that her brother bought this in the UK as a brand new machine however I have my doubts. I think that they were fooled because it's running Vista Business User OS which no reputable shop would sell to an elderly person as a home computer. It also has Openoffice installed and I don't think any new computer comes with this pre-installed. In addition, it was set on EST and showing yesterday's date!

I had to download and install a load of MS updates, show her how to use email and I have also cleared her junk files, speeded up her boot time and defragged. There was a surprising amount of junk including old symantec folders showing Norton so this must have been installed at some time yet she is running AVG. Unsurprisingly, the shop where it was purchased is no longer in business!

That's horrible to take advantage of people like that. If you don't know anything about computers you can be scammed easily. You are terrific to help your neighbor with the laptop though.

That is sad. I hate people taking advantage of aged persons. What if this happened to their parents or even to themselves when they are old?  >:(

I'm glad that you are very helpful with your neighbor. At least there are still people with genuine hearts like you! :)

It is pretty sad what people will sell to those whom they know they can scam. They apparently were aware that she didn't know a lot about computers or surely they would not have tried to pass of something that used as new!

• 3 weeks later...

This elderly lady is lucky he has you helping her out. That's the good side of the story. That shop that is no longer in business will keep on repaying for what they've done until they learn the lesson. Karma is simply the Law of Cause and Effect.