For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Making Trials as Stepping Stones to Success

winuxchrosh

It's harder to do than it sounds. I've been to many hardships lately and my father told me that they are just stepping stones to a better future of mine. I understand what he meant but sometimes it's hard to implement. I was sick for a week then experienced flood for 2 weeks and with it lost some of my possessions. What would you do if you're in my situation?

If possible, make jokes about it. No, seriously. "Comedy = tragedy + time" is the formula. If you can reduce the time, it would be good for you. Better to laugh than to cry, right? And then just go forward. Will it be easy? Of course not. Growing usually isn't. But you can do it :)

I always try to see things as I am still better off than someone else. For example. I lost three beloved pets this summer. I know that doesn't mean much to some but we are older and no longer have children in the home so they were sort of surrogate children. So when I start feeling really down and depressed about it, I always think "at least I had them for .... years and some people don't ever know that love". 

If possible, make jokes about it. No, seriously. "Comedy = tragedy + time" is the formula. If you can reduce the time, it would be good for you. Better to laugh than to cry, right? And then just go forward. Will it be easy? Of course not. Growing usually isn't. But you can do it :)

This is such good advice. I once had a miserable health condition that had me in constant pain and had to have a surgery that really sidetracked me on my career path; I wrote sarcastic "notes" (like journal entries) about it all on my Facebook page and gathered quite a following that found my situation quite hilarious, despite the circumstances. It was my ability to laugh at myself and make others laugh with me that got me through it and made me feel better - and I think I healed faster for it!

If I were in your situation, I would whine for all I care but I'd give myself a deadline of 24 hours. After that, on your feet soldier! We've got a job to do! Then I'll sing, "Old McDonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O  . . . " as I resume my march.

You could try the 'Pollyanna Effect'.  Try to find something to be glad about - you were sick for a week, be glad you weren't sick for two.

This is the way I approach these things, everything happens for a reason, look for the reason and all will be well.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I really appreciate it. I like what Hawkesway idea. I always tell to people who have problems that we focus mainly on the black dot in the middle of the white paper instead of the white paper surrounding the black dot. I guess that principle of mine will apply to me right now.