For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Preparing for a new year

Perfect7

What do you do to prepare? Traditions? Do you write resolutions? Share, please! We usually stay up and wish each other "Happy New Year" and some of us might "set personal goals" but since resolutions are "made to be broken" we choose not to do that.

We don't really do anything to prepare, though I think that we should start some traditions. I like the idea of a clear out between Christmas and Jan 1st, giving a load of stuff to charity and de-cluttering.

All we actually do is toast the gongs, then go out of the back door to the house, around the block and in the front door.

Ah, memories of when I was young and living in a small town near to the Scottish border. My father was Scottish as were lots of our neighbours so our whole street had a traditional Scottish Hogmanay with every house containing a table laden with food and drink, music playing and everyone welcome. We children went from house to house and just before midnight the men congregated outside with a lump of coal waiting for the sound of the midnight foghorns from the ships on the Tyne, then they could knock on the front doors and be the lucky "first foot".

I miss all this now I live in the south of England!

That sounds neat, Silva! What was the significance of the lump of coal? Does the "first foot" involve being the first to step into the house? We've never had such neat traditions!

The coal was symbolically lucky (whisky and black bun were brought as well). The tradition is that, if the first person to cross the threshold after midnight is tall, dark and handsome, the household will prosper all year. My dad was all of these so he was in great demand!

We have a tradition of putting lots of fruits on the table. It gives each one a mindset of abundance. I think that's a great attitude for the upcoming New Year. Instead of fruits I would be pulling out all my dream books and watch them as the clock ticks to 12mn :)

We have pork and cabbage for the new year. Usually it's pork and sauerkraut to bring money (green cabbage) and physical prosperity (pork). We have changed it to pork and cooked cabbage or cole slaw but as long as it's the required combo, it's still OK.

As a kid we used to stay up, watch the ball drop in Times Square, then head out to the front porch to yell "Happy New Year!" while blowing noise makers (my dad on the trombone) and shooting off Roman candles.  Bet the neighbors loved us. 

As a grown-up I'm an old fuddy-duddy who goes to bed at 10:00 and wakes up the next day to see if the world is still in place.

We don't really do anything to prepare, though I think that we should start some traditions. I like the idea of a clear out between Christmas and Jan 1st, giving a load of stuff to charity and de-cluttering.

All we actually do is toast the gongs, then go out of the back door to the house, around the block and in the front door.

We've always considered it bad luck to go out one door and come in another, or vice versa.

Our traditions usually involve shooting off fireworks at the stroke of midnight, having a drink (or 3  ;) ) shortly thereafter and, on New Years Day, eating blackeye peas and hog jowl (I skip the hog jowl, it's nasty).

We privately write down our goals for the coming year and then seal them in envelopes that are not to be opened until the following New Year's Eve at which time we share them with each other. This year did not go well for me - I accomplished very little of my list from last year. I was dreading sharing it with my husband last night, lol. Hopefully 2011 will be a more focused year for me :)