For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Music to my ears

knchatty

I am sitting here typing and at the same time listening to my daughter play her flute.  She started playing the flute in 4th grade and played throughout 8th grade.  She stopped this year and did not sign up for band either.  I did not push her, she was burnt out she said.  She is upstairs in her "fun room" and I hear her flute.  I'm wondering if she misses it and if she will be joining the high school band next year! Keep your fingers crossed!

It's music to my ears, I love hearing her play!  :)

That's wonderful! I love music, personally, and my children enjoy it as well, although none of them are currently playing an instrument. We do have a piano in the living room, and it is not unusual for one of my children to burst into song at any provocation (or none!)... we tease that we "live in a musical!" :)

I guess that she just needed a break from the flute.  It's wonderful you did not push her as it allowed her to rediscover her passion!

That's wonderful! I'm glad she started playing again. Ask her occasionally if she misses being in the band or if she would like to study further. It's great when a child plays music.

• 2 weeks later...

She is probably at the age where she is beginning to want things to be of her own choosing. You are right to loosen the apron strings a little and let her see what is going on around her. You have probably given her the correct guidelines, and won't be surprised to see her make the decision you wish for her.

That is great news! Music is such a wonderful thing for kids to take part in. I played flute from fourth grade all the way through high school, and while I don't play anymore, I really feel like it helped me in a lot of ways!

• 2 weeks later...

That's cute! I actually used to play the flute around 4th or 5th grade and looking back, I was really amazing at it. However, I just got bored at some point and decided to quit. I wish I still had that flute. There were so many memories with it. I used to help train the other players :)

It is amazing what kids will go back to on their own, when it is their choice.  The more you push, the more they resist.  Whether music, sports, art - whatever their passion, it's best if they see it as their decision and not yours.

Music played by kids are always a delight to parents. Let me share from the other side of the story, that of the kid.

When my father was bedridden and his memory was failing, he didn't recognize me when I went home during a holiday. I was already working then, and I was able to go home only once a year. Perhaps he was looking for a thin dark son. But that day I went home a little heavier and more muscular.

But when I played the guitar and sang one of my favorite country songs, instantly, as if by magic, he called my name. That was a very touching moment for me.

I can't seem to get my daughter interested in any musical instrument.  She loves to listen to music and she loves to sing, but she doesn't want to play anything.  When she was younger (six or seven), I'd play the guitar and she would sing right along.  We were quite a team.  Now she doesn't even want to sing with me.