For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Webcams in the Classroom

wim2

What do you think about having webcams in your child's classroom, so that you could monitor them (and the teacher teaching them) from your home computer.  I have mixed feelings about it.  On the one hand, I think it would be nice to be able to watch our children while they're at school.  But on the other hand, I think it might violate their privacy somewhat. 

What do you think?

Well, my view of *children's* privacy is different from some. Since I am responsible for my child, I need to know what's going on. So far, it really hasn't been an issue with my children, as my 16 year old daughter usually requests that I read her journal and my 17 year old son couldn't care less if I know what he's up to at any moment. I can see my 14 year old son possibly bucking the status quo on this one, though.

I would expect the disruptive pupils' parents to be the first to object to this because I think that most of them are aware of how badly behaved their children are. Maybe we should just tell kids that there are webcams watching them and see if it improves classroom behaviour. I am in favour of webcams in nurseries, where the children are too young to report inappropriate adult behaviour.

As a former teacher, I'm ambivalent.  I would've loved to shown parents what their darling child did.  On the other hand, I'd have been uncomfortable with being visually monitored my entire workday.  It seems oppressive.

I guess I am just not a voyeur! My kids know right from wrong, and I believe them when they bring something to my attention. My folks believed me, and didn't need to be watching every second!

One of our grocery stores has a childcare center where you can leave kids to play while you're shopping.  There is a camera in the center and monitors at various locations around the store so you can check in on your kids while you shop.  That is handy, reassuring, and useful, especially since I don't really know the childcare workers or who else may be in the room at any given time.

Classrooms at school are a different story.  Teachers are trained and background checked.  The kids in the classroom don't vary from day to day.  They are there to learn, not to play.  While I would love to be a fly on the wall and watch my kids once in a while, I would definitely not like knowing they are being videotaped all day, every day, with every parent in school able to watch.  I know I would not like to be watched, and can't imagine they would either.

I think it may be a good idea for say an hour a day or once a week, (if the point is for parents to see what their offspring are up to). Cameras in the classroom are pretty common here in South Korea so I am used to the idea, you do tend to forget about them after a while. I've only heard of one place that streamed images for parents. More often they are used to police the class. For some unfortunate students (and teachers) any sign of fun or an activity away from the book will bring trouble!

I understand Perfects' position on this and I have to agree with her.  Camera's are everywhere, from street corners and city buses to grocery stores and universities.  I do think we should be able to monitor our children at school via webcam, but only if we're given user names and passwords where we, as parents of these children, are the only ones who can log on to and view the webcam.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly I would not want to see my child while she was at school.  For starters she is in 9th grade (high school) and I think it would make her think that I had no trust in her.  She is responsible enough to do the right thing and pay attention in class. 

Our kids are supposed to be safe in school, I don't think we need webcams in the classrooms.

I agree about installing web cameras on both sides of the front wall facing the kids for nursery, preschool and the first four grades. From the 5th grade upwards, no more cameras.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a tough one. I feel that children should have their right to privacy like anyone else, but at the same time, since they are not 18, their parents are responsible for them. I think kids knowing they are being watched will cause them to behave better, in most cases and get more done while in class.