For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Do You Trust Doctors?

spacelover8126

I used to, for the most part.  In the last 2 years I've developed a deep distrust.  My OB didn't do a great job managing my labor, my pediatrician missed a diagnosis on my daughter, and no doctors seem to have a clue about breastfeeding.  It's a little scary.

Do you trust doctors?

Not really, but then again, I don't trust a lot of people.  I do try to follow a doctors advice, but I don't take what they say as the gospel.  Long ago, a doctor tried to tell my wife and I that we'd never be able to have a child, because she had endometriosis and I had a low sperm count and low testosterone.  But God willing, after two miscarriages, we had our daughter.  So no, I'm not real trusting of doctors.

Unfortunately, a lot of doctors today are in it for the money, and not to help people. Because of that, I find it difficult to trust what they say, since many now are more interested in how to get you in more often and not how to cure you and keep you away.

Here in England we have a local doctor who is very caring and kind, however, she is retiring shortly and she admits herself that she isn't up to date about everything, which is worrying. I also think that a lot of doctors do what they are told to do by the drug companies who are only in it for the money.

Nope. Not a chance. I worked for and with them for too long and my wife did too. We both have very few that we will see without a recommendation from someone we trust.

They are graduating lately without enough knowledge but with more than their share of nerve which is not a good thing.

I used to, for the most part.  In the last 2 years I've developed a deep distrust.  My OB didn't do a great job managing my labor, my pediatrician missed a diagnosis on my daughter, and no doctors seem to have a clue about breastfeeding.  It's a little scary.

Do you trust doctors?

Yes I trust doctors in general, but I admit there are doctors that simply betray your trust. I would understand if a doctor only has an academic understanding of what breastfeeding is. But for an OB to mismanage your labor is something else. As to diagnosis, second and third opinions are always recommended for cases that really concern you.

At the end of the day, we all should take responsibility. If you feel like a doctor has betrayed your trust, change him or her immediately.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I trust doctors in general, but I admit there are doctors that simply betray your trust. I would understand if a doctor only has an academic understanding of what breastfeeding is. But for an OB to mismanage your labor is something else. As to diagnosis, second and third opinions are always recommended for cases that really concern you.

At the end of the day, we all should take responsibility. If you feel like a doctor has betrayed your trust, change him or her immediately.

I want to, I mean; they do know more than I do. I know how you feel though. When my grandmother was diagnosed with Cancer, she was so far along and they never caught anything. I just don't understand how that's possible. Plus, they had us stop feeding her and giving her liquids towards the end and that was extremely hard for me. I felt like they were making me kill her. It  was really upsetting to see her pass.

I'm sorry, QueenB.  That sounds awful.

I did switch OBs for this pregnancy.  I had to anyway, because there is only one doctor in my county who is willing to do vaginal births after a c-section.

I'm sorry, QueenB.  That sounds awful.

I did switch OBs for this pregnancy.  I had to anyway, because there is only one doctor in my county who is willing to do vaginal births after a c-section.

Thanks. It's alright though, I've moved on from it. I realize what their purpose was now. They were trying to help her pass peacefully and by continuing to give her food and liquid, it was just slowing down the process because she was in so much pain and it would have just kept her around and dealing with it longer. It's hard to admit, but I do agree with what they had us do now. It took almost a year to feel that way though.

I don't trust doctors. Not that I think they aren't trying to help others, or that they don't have good information or needed skills. But the system still teaches doctors to act like they know everything, even when they don't.

I've found that a lot of doctors care more about maintaining authority then about finding out what is wrong with you. I believe that healthcare works best when it is a true partnership between the doctor and the patient. But I've found that a lot of doctors don't want to hear what I know about my own body. And I usually turn out to be right.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi QueenB, I'm sorry to hear about that story about your grandmother. As to why they never caught the cancer, I don't understand it either. Is it possible that they know but just let it be?

I don't trust doctors, some of them. Including my father's doctor who attended to him when he was VERY sick. The doctor didn't tell us the real diagnosis until my father died only the doctor told us that it was a malignant cancer of the lung.

• 1 month later...

Not all doctors are out to get you. The majority are people who go into the career wanting to be helpful and save lives. I've never experienced a bad doctor in my life. I have, however, experienced a dentist who decided meeting his wife for a party would be more important than allowing the novocaine to numb my mouth.

Put me down for I would like to trust them, but haven't found a good doctor yet to trust.  They totally missed neck arthritis, then when they finally discovered it, total me there was nothing I could do, live with the pain and get used to it.  Of course, this was after they insisted the problem was in all in my head - well they were close sort of! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Not a chance. I hardly trust anyone, however, but doctors have given me good reason. The last time I went to my family doctor for something, I was prescribed what I later discovered to be massive doses of a highly addictive medication. I wasn't told to taper off or warned of the addictive effects. Once the medication ran out, I was mentally done with it but physically hooked. I ended up with acute cardiac disturbances accompanied by seizures, and spent the night in the ER. They had to give me other medication to counter-act the withdrawals, and the ER doctor was livid at what I was prescribed.

As a child my family doctor was my hero, but he has been in the process of retiring for years. I switched due to the inconvenience of booking an appointment months in advance.