For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Private Mourning

Klicky

When my brother died we found a brand new package of a dozen pairs of tube socks in his apartment.  Ever since, when I'm especially missing him, I wear a pair of those socks.  They have gotten so baggy and droopy that they barely stay up any more, but I refuse to throw them away.  It's my own way to privately mourn him without making a show of it.  No armbands or tree ribbons or poems in the newspaper.  Just a pair of well worn tube socks.

I'm sorry you lost your brother.  Wearing his socks is a really sweet way to remember him though.  I got a little teary-eyed when I read your post.

That is sweet. What will you do with the socks when they become unwearable? Perhaps you could use them as appliques on a quilt or something? I, too, am sorry you lost your brother.

What will you do with the socks when they become unwearable?

Buy more tube socks, I guess.  We also found Dad's slippers in my brother's apartment. (Dad had died two years earlier.)  I told my mom "I'm taking these slippers.  If I'm the next to go, ditch the slippers!"  We are an irreverent sort of family.

So, how does everyone else remember their lost loved ones? 

I have a picture of my middle son by my bedside. It's the last thing I see at night and the first thing I usually see in the morning. He died in 2008 and I really miss him. He also hadn't been home for a while when he passed in another state.

He died in 2008 and I really miss him.

2008 was not a good year.  Your son.  My brother.  My husband's mom.

Buddy - sorry to hear you were not with your son when he died, and hadn't seen him in a while.  First of all, it is not fair for parents to outlive their children, and second, if you have to lose them, you should at least get to say good bye. 

Thanks for your comment Klicky. It's not natural to have to bury a child. Children are supposed to outlive their parents and I'm sure your Mom is going through the same thing. She and you have my best wishes.

It is not natural, but far too common.  However, as far as I know, there is no word for a parent who has lost a child.  A widow/er has lost a spouse.  An orphan has lost parents.  But what is a parent who has lost a child?  Is there any language out there with a word for a parent who has lost a child?

I think doing things like that are really helpful. I personally like to wear some of my grandma's old shirts. She was really hip for her age and would always get matching shirts with my sister and I. It makes me feel closer to her.

It was several years after my dad passed that my mom could get around to going through his clothes and stuff.  I was there to help her as I knew she didn't want to do it by herself.  I opened his sock and underwear drawer and saw his stack of handkerchiefs and knew I wanted them.  They were a trademark of my dad.  Everywhere he went, he was honking into one of his handkerchiefs.  So now I have them.  They're in the front of my sock and underwear drawer.  I don't use them, mind you, but I like having them there.

Very touching story. You can actually write a short story about this and submit it to Reader's Digest. It's a perfect material for that book.

Let me share something. My father died 12 years ago. I am wearing his ring on my left ring finger as my way of honoring him. My wedding band is on my right ring finger.

Thanks Marvin, I'm glad you enjoyed it.  I love Readers Digest and I read it all the time; I have a subscription.  But I'd never thought about sending in articles or short stories to possibly be published.  I think I'll check into that.

As far as you wearing your Dad's ring, I think that's awesome.  Just like me, you'll always have something near to remind you of your dad.