For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

A Snowy Winter

wim2

It seems this winter has been more snowy than normal.  Here in the deep south, we rarely see anything but a dusting or two each winter.  However, this winter, we've had two significant snowfalls (five or six inches each time, it's significant for us), plus countless dustings of snow.  And it's been colder than normal.  I've seen also that many of the northern and northeastern states have had record snowfall accumulations.  I wonder if all this has some kind of scientific cause, or if it's just by chance that it's been so cold and snowy?

I think it comes in cycles. This area of the state had some pretty good snow about 13 years ago. I hear the Farmer's Almanac is saying we're supposed to get one more big snow before it's over. What do you think? I find it unlikely, since the temps the next week (at least) are supposed to be between 50 and 70 during the day!

The planet goes through natural cycles of temperature change and always has. Mankind is a relatively new organism on the face of the Earth so why we presume to know so much about it I don't know! :)

I think it comes in cycles. This area of the state had some pretty good snow about 13 years ago. I hear the Farmer's Almanac is saying we're supposed to get one more big snow before it's over. What do you think? I find it unlikely, since the temps the next week (at least) are supposed to be between 50 and 70 during the day!

Oh yeah, I don't doubt at all that we could have another major weather event before the winter is over.  Alabama's record snowfall happened in March of 1993, the same year I got married, and I think we got over two feet, which is tons for this part of the country.  As far as the temps lately, they have been very nice, but you know the old saying: "If you don't like the weather in Alabama, stick around, it'll change."

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with global warming, but that's the first thing that comes to mind; which is strange because global warming sounds like things should be getting warmer, not colder. But anyway, we've been very lucky this year. Things aren't icy or snowy at all, just a bit chilly.

Being someone from the east, at first I thought "snowy winter" was a redundant term. Of course now I know better. I have watched An Inconvenient Truth and it was inconvenient indeed. It has made me paranoid over weather issues. Not good :) Besides, there's just no way to correlate yearly events with trends gleaned from hundreds of thousands of years of observation.

Anyhow, US-based friends of mine have shown pictures of their cars buried in snow in the morning. One mom forgot to drive it into the garage and that's what she got. I also saw a YouTube video of a gas station where the roof crumbled. A woman barely escaped.

Things happen ...

Yes, they do.  There have been countless roof collapses during the heavy snowstorms in the northeastern area of the U.S. this year.  Seems most roofs can only hold so much snow before they give in, lol.  Thank goodness it didn't get that bad for me, because I live in the southernmost part of the U.S., but like I said, we did get more than our fair share this year.  Now we're awaiting serious thunderstorms, some which could produce tornados, but our weather has been nice and warm.......shorts and tees weather.

I agree. This year has been pretty snowy around here as well. With this last system that came through, we were just lucky that it was above freezing. We got 1.5 inches of rain. If that would have been snow, it would be about 15 or so inches. Yeah, that's a little too much snow for my liking!

I agree with Marvinmacs - snow and winter go hand and hand.  I live in Upstate NY and it's always snowy here in the winter. I would be worried if we did not have snow.  My daughter and I went out and built another snowman today!  That makes 5 or 6 so far this winter.  We have a lot of heavy, great packing snow.

We have had over 100 inches of snow this year. I do love snow, but I've had enough. I like when it snows and then warms up at least above freezing so it melts a bit. This year the snow has just stayed put. I'm ready for Spring.

KN, you guys have had it especially rough this year.  I've watched the news and the Weather Channel.  Seems it's one snowstorm after another for you guys.  I feel for you, I really do, and sending good karma to will away the snowstorms.

I guess this would be a bad time to mention that we already have grass and daisy's growing, wouldn't it?

But then again, we might have another freeze or snowfall before spring arrives.  It's been known to happen.