For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

A New Car

spacelover8126

Our plan was to buy a used minivan in September. So, naturally we bought a brand new Mazda 5 yesterday.

Too much money building up in our bank account is an intolerable situation.  ;)

Well, good for you! In this age of austerity I'm all in favour of someone bucking the trend! If I win the lottery this evening, I'll be joining you. :P

I can't imagine having that much money available all at once in the bank account! Maybe one day I'll achieve that, but for now, we just use old cars. :)

Oh. don't get the wrong idea.  We financed the purchase; it's just our down payment, while still decent, was not as high as it would've been had we waited.

It's such a pretty car.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats, SL.  Mazda's are nice.  I've owned three before, a 323, a Protege and a Protege with the MazdaSpeed designation.  It had racing wheels and tires, a very stubby shifter, a turbo and special interior.  I currently own a 94 Honda Accord but would love to have a Mazda 2.

• 2 weeks later...

What a nice surprise!  :D  Just remember, that minivan uses more gas than the Mazda does. I am shopping now for a replacement vehicle for our minivan. In December it decided to quit while we were on the interstate highway. We've put tons of parts in it and now we have found out the engine is blown.  :(

I'm sorry to hear about your minivan, Buddys. :(  It's always a bummer when you lose a vehicle you've put a lot into.  I hope you find a nice replacement soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks SpaceLover. We are going to borrow our grandchild's car for a bit until we save up a little more of a down payment. She got a vehicle for her birthday two years ago and has never gotten her driver's license, so it needs to be driven. I just don't understand someone who doesn't want to drive. It's a completely foreign idea to me. I've always wanted to drive since I was just a little boy. I learned to drive on my grandfather's tractors since I helped out on his farm way before I was old enough to drive a car.

You wouldn't understand my mother then.  She has always had car anxiety (for no apparent reason) and while she's driven once or twice, she has no desire to truly learn or get a license.

I don't really care to drive.  I've been driving for a living since I was 21.  I drove for Greyhound Bus Lines for several years, then drove for the city of Birmingham's public transit system for about five years.  In between and before that, I drove straight trucks and vans, sometimes local, sometimes covering 3 to 4 states.  So driving, to me, is more like working.  When my wife and I were together, when we went somewhere, she drove.

If I were to win the lottery, I'd hire someone to drive me around.  I just don't care much for it.