For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

diet and nutrition

TerryMB

Hi, I'm Terry. I'm 44 years old and underweight. I'm having a hard time gaining weight because it all seems to go to my stomach area. Can someone recommend an exercise program or particular foods I can start eating to gain 'good' weight? Walking and carrying groceries are my main sources of exercise.

Hi Terry!

In this day and age that's an unusual position to be in. I'm no expert on how to gain weight (having too much myself!) but if you gave us your typical day's intake of food I'm sure that someone may be able to suggest where you can improve matters.

Please don't laugh-I don't know where it all goes either. All meals are a few hours a part and maybe I'm just eating too small amounts at a time and it's got my metabolism super-charged.

Two bowls of cereal (an hour apart), two baloney and cheese sandwiches (first one is whole, the second one is broken into halves a few hours apart), dinner (usually about 9p) and ice cream out of the carton around 10:30pm (usually a little less than a bowlful). I get into bed and read for a while and I've found if my stomach feels empty after lights out I have to get up and eat something in order to get to sleep.  I have no thyroid or gastric problems.

Looks to me like you might benefit from more protein in your diet; but other than that, it is hard to say. Have you spoken with a nutritionist?

Please don't laugh-I don't know where it all goes either. All meals are a few hours a part and maybe I'm just eating too small amounts at a time and it's got my metabolism super-charged.

Two bowls of cereal (an hour apart), two baloney and cheese sandwiches (first one is whole, the second one is broken into halves a few hours apart), dinner (usually about 9p) and ice cream out of the carton around 10:30pm (usually a little less than a bowlful). I get into bed and read for a while and I've found if my stomach feels empty after lights out I have to get up and eat something in order to get to sleep.  I have no thyroid or gastric problems.

I'd recommend you first determine your BMR from an online BMR calculator. What you can do with that is then add 500 calories and then start eating big (but healthfully). You are unfortunately not eating too healthfully at this point and you should work on improving that. Eating an hour apart is not a good idea ever though. Keep it 3-4 hours apart for each meal.