For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Legal question

TerryMB

I have an apartment with a balcony. I was promised a new one when I moved in (2006) and now the iron railing is broken. I reported it to the management and they never did anything. Is there anything else I can do?

• Like 1

Unless you have it in writing, I think there is not much you can do about it. I would probably consider looking for a different apartment, since that one is apparently not safe.

It really depends upon the local or state statutes. Our local law says if a landlord refuses to make repairs, we can do the repairs and be reimbursed by withholding up to half of the rent. I'd consult a lawyer if you don't want to move. If you do this, the landlord will always find a way to make you pay in other ways.

In our state you can go to a lawyer and they can set up escrow. First you need to send the complaint by certified mail in writing to the landlord. Then you take the proof the complaint was sent to a lawyer. They will send out a warning letter to the landlord explaining that if the repair is not made in so many days then the rent will go in to escrow. Then, you start paying your rent to the escrow account and the landlord will not get the money until it is fixed. If they still don't fix it then after so long you can move, not be held to your lease and get all the money in escrow back (outside of lawyer fees). Check your state and see if you can do this, it will either get the problem fixed or help you have the funds to move.