For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Weather

buddys

Is it just me, or is the weather really strange these days? I know we go through different patterns throughout history, but these last few years haven't "felt" right. I mean, it seems like we have no spring, just winter to summer. It seems we have no fall, just summer straight to winter. We usually will have adequate rainfall in summertime in my area of the country to bring in great vegetable gardens and flower gardens that are overflowing with blooms. Now we will only have an estimated 68% of the normal corn crops for this year's yield. The flowers are dying, even the hardy type that don't usually need help. Even with watering, nothing seems to want to grow now. Do you see the same things in your part of the country?

I am not seeing this here in Upstate NY. Our vegetable garden is the best it has been in years. We had to water it twice a day though - went through a bit of a drought. I have been complaining lately of our "fall-like" weather. I want 90s until September! I want to swim during the day and right now it just is not warm enough. It is supposed to be mid 70s all next week.

knchatty, I would be delighted to trade you weather! It is regularly in the 90s here right up until October (though we have, thankfully, had some days of 70s and 80s this summer, which gave us a nice break).

Buddy's it is not just you. I am in Georgia and it really is either extraordinarily hot and humid (worse than average years), or freezing cold. This is an article I happened across the other day that relates our extreme weather to the cycle the sun is in. Our garden has done okay this year because we have gotten more rainfall than usual. From what I have read about the droughts in the mid-West we will be extremely lucky to get 68% of our usual corn yields. I have seen predicted estimates in the 40% range. Hello, skyrocketing food prices!

I'm not sure if this year is much different from last. Here in Korea it's still stormy and monsooning, despite rainy season being over ages ago. It was the same last summer. Here's hoping for a mild winter to compensate. If there's anything worse than rain it's snow!

I know what you mean when you say the weather hasn't "felt" right. Looking at the big picture, on an international level there seem to have been a lot more weather related disasters than I remember having as recently as the past couple of decades.

Locally, the seasons don't feel the same as they did when I was a kid. Take this month for example. I remember August bringing in the true dog days of summer with intense heat and the occasional cooling rain to look forward to. Here it is more than halfway through the month and I haven't felt one day of real heat yet. As for the rain, we're certainly not getting enough of that.

LA makes a good point about rising food prices. I saw an article just this morning that food prices are going to go up to the point of increasing the amount our nation's hungry citizens. In addition to causing continued problems for the economy, having more hungry folks is a scary thought.

I think the article is slightly exaggerated for effect because I certainly don't recall the UK being totally encased in ice, though we did have a few freezing months during the Winter, but that's not unusual. I agree that the weather has been more extreme and changeable recently but that's how Nature rolls!

• 2 months later...

I'm making the most of the glorious fall weather here in South Korea. It's such a bittersweet moment watching the colors change and knowing that the cold is just hiding around the corner waiting its turn!