For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Re: Re: Internet scams.

guitaryan66

I agree with everything stated thus far.  Myself, I am not an internet guru by any stretch of the word.  Not knowing about all of the scams that are out there it is very tempting when you first sign on and read ads of make an extra $2000 a month working at home to give them a try.  Who couldn't use an extra two grand a month?  Unfortunately as technology advances so do the criminals ideas of how to scam the unsuspecting.

There are several types of scams, so you have to use common sense and wit all the time when dealing on the Internet.

Some scammers have established websites, other scammers appear to be "friendly" people. I've even gotten scammed while playing online games by other players who appeared to not be mischievous. Usually those type of scammers will lure you into trusting them, be wary of such people.

Oooh, I have a great one - check the fine print.  There are many 'dropship' programs that will charge your credit card and just keep sending you things and charging you.  It starts out with you thinking that you've paid for ONE item and ONE item only, but before too long, you're wondering where all these charges are coming from. :(

Be sure to check fine print when considering buying something online.

I definately agree with the fact that it's harder to avoid scams if you are inexperienced on the net. However, I do think that if you use your common sense, it's a lot easier to avoid them. What I generally tell people who don't know much about the internet is that they should try to stick to well known websites, and if they're still unsure they should try googling the website to see what other people say about it.

These people really kill me with the online money scams.  I used to watch Dateline when they had those scam artist on there.  This guy told the Dateline guy for $500 he could meet his boss and get an investment started or something like that.  When it all came down to it, they busted the guy and he looked sick as heck lol.  He had to give the money back.  I thought he was going to cry.  I say be smart and keep your draft pick up to speed!

• 1 month later...

check the reputation

I agree with you on that point. I recently saw a book with a RRP of £18.99 for sale at an extremely discounted price (somewhere around £4), which originally attracted my attention. As I'd not heard of the online store before, I googled the website name and checked out a few of the review sites which exist. Sure enough, lots of people had left negative comments about the company, and so I purchased the book elsewhere.

I think the safest way to stay safe from internet scams is to follow these simple steps.

1) If you've not heard of the site, google them for reviews.

2) Try to use PayPal if available. This mainly applies to auction sites like eBay, but other companies also allow PayPal checkout now. That way, if anything goes wrong, you will normally get your money back.

3) Keep an eye on your bank statement. If you actively look for unusual transactions, you're less likely to be ripped off for a lot of money. Your bank would notice a large transaction, but several small ones do not seem as suspicious.

4) Remember this simple fact: If it seems too good to be true, it most probably is.

and finally,

5) Report phishing scams. Firefox and Safari both allow you to report forged websites, aswell as dangerous ones. They will then warn others who attempt to access them. Also, forward phishing emails to the bank they supposedly come from. Do all you can to fight the fraudsters, but never reply to their emails.