Sign in to follow this  
TravelBug

Language learning as an adult

TravelBug

Children pick up languages much easier than adults. I grew up trilingual but I've always loved languages even as an adult! I have been able to learn to speak two languages (German and Portuguese) fluently as an adult, but you have to invest a lot of time and energy! Have you learned or are you learning a new language as an adultĀ and if so, how do you go about it? If you haven't, what language would you like to learn to speak?

• Like 1

Lynn

That's really wonderful that you speak so many languages, @TravelBug! Other than English, what other languages did you grow up with?

I took seven years of Spanish in school and used to be semi-fluent. After seven years, I should have been very capable with it, but I really didn't have an interest in learning it, so I did only what was necessary and managed to squeak by.

As an adult, I have very much been wanting to learn Italian. I have a couple of audio programs for it, but I find it difficult to make time with family life, work, etc. Now that my daughter is a little older, I may start playing the CDs when we're driving together. I think it would be a lot of fun for both of us to learn it and then we'll be able to actually use the language when speaking to each other. :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today