For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Online Education

Nickel

What do you see as the pros and cons of earning a degree or certificate online? I think a huge plus is being able to follow classes as early or as late as needed. A negative is losing that interactive feeling from group discussions and being able to talk to the instructor in real time.

• Like 1

I don't see much value in paying for either an online degree or certificate, since that method of education is still dismissed by most employers.  IT subjects might be an exception.  Free courses can be fine if it's something I wish to learn or I expect it to be of practical help.  It's still a time investment though and I usually learn and retain information more quickly through reading about the subject. So for me, the biggest con is that I can access better alternatives.  The biggest pro is that it provides more options for us all.  Some subjects will never hit a college campus simply because they aren't popular enough, but that barrier isn't nearly as extensive for an online educational platform. 

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine has been doing her PhD nearly all online. I know that she has found it frustrating not being able to discuss things with the professor in real time. She has to wait for the professor to email her, and sometimes, that puts her in a real time crunch for completing assignments. 

• 1 month later...

Online education lets you plan your schedule and learn at the most convenient time. You require a lot of discipline and dedication to succeed. I agree that the lack of physical interaction is the major downside. It would help if more employers appreciated this mode of education.

• 2 months later...

What has remote learning been like for you, your family, and/or friends during these past couple of months? My niece is in middle school. It's been tough for her and her parents to suddenly switch to online-only schooling. Her teachers have been sending lots of worksheets and aren't able to give much one-on-one help.