For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Why Can't I Sleep?

dr

Fortunately, I usually don't have too much trouble sleeping.  I have to wake up at 4am to get ready for work, so that keeps me on a pretty regular schedule. 

What will keep me from falling asleep is usually stress.  If I start thinking about money worries, or if i have had some kind of personal conflict with someone that is unresolved, this will keep my brain stuck to the overactive position for quite a while.  I almost have to will it out and acknowledge that I can't fix it now so just go to sleep.  Sometimes that works, other times I go eat a sandwich :P.

According to the experts you should not stay in bed awake for more than 5-10 minutes; if you find your mind racing, or worrying about not being able to sleep during the middle of the night, get out of bed, and sit in a chair in the dark.  Do you mind racing in the chair until you are sleepy, then return to bed.  No television or internet during these periods! These things will just stimulate you more than desired.

I tend to get on the internet…

I often have problems falling asleep too. My problem is because of menopause. I find that if I read a book I will get sleepy. Sometimes really trying to clear your mind of the stresses of the day helps too.

Allot of people have told me that they read a book to help them fall asleep and it works for them. However, the experts will tell you NOT to watch television and/or read in bed.  When you watch television or read in bed, you associate the bed with wakefulness. Supposedly, the bed is reserved for only two things - sleep and hanky panky.  Personally the television puts me to sleep; I turn it to a show that I have absolutely not interest in to distract me from my racing mind and it works.

It's That Ironic?

Well, I know for sure that the reason that I cannot sleep is because I have a 6-month old baby! When he was first born, he would actually sleep through the night; and then he would even take 2 naps during the day, so I had a lot of time to get things done around the house. However, now (I suspect because he is teething), he does not sleep through the night as well.

If anyone is having trouble sleeping and cannot figure out why, you may want to consider being tested in a sleep study. My husband did that, and he found out that he has sleep apnea. There are things that can be done to treat sleep disorders; but it is not to your benefit to neglect a healthy sleeping pattern.

I can not sleep because I do not maintain a regular sleep routine. According to the experts maintaining a regular bed and wakeup time each day, even on the weekends is one of the most critical aspects of a sleep routine. To maintain a regular bed and wakeup time I must develop sleep rituals before going to bed. This week I started going to bed only when I was sleepy.  So far, so good...

Why can't you sleep?  ???

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have trouble sleeping until I did a little research on the subject. The most helpful tip I found was to take a nice hot shower or bath just before going to bed. The science behind it is actually quite simple. The human body cools down as it prepares for sleep. So when you hop out of the shower your body begins to cool pretty quickly. This makes the transition into sleep much easier for your body.

I can't sleep because I have too much to do and too much on my mind. I am kind of a perfectionist and at the end of the day before I go to sleep I have to have my "to do" list all done or I can't sleep.

Sleeping can be a difficult task. When my dad was rushed to the hospital and kept in ICU for 6 weeks, I was diagnosed with insomnia. I would lay awake at night, sort of in a daze, and just toss and turn, maybe dozing off here and there.  I spoke with my doctor about the situation because it was really affecting my life. First, she tried me on sleep aid medication. However, these prescription sleep aids actually increased my depression. The next step on the ladder was anti-anxiety/depression medicine. After my body started absorbing the medication, it seemed to really help. I could relax easier at night, with the help of some lavender aromatherapy, and started to sleep much better. The bad thing is, as time goes on and my body becomes immune to the medication and the everyday stress of life increases, the dosage has to be changed and the number of milligrams goes up every year. But, at least I am sleeping at night.  I recommend speaking to your doctor about finding what is best for you. Everyone deserves a good night sleep. Maybe one day, there will be a real cure.

I can't sleep because I am forever thinking of the way the day

panned out and the way the next day will .... pan out!

It sounds ridicoulas but it's true. I think about things

that happened throughout the day, and worry about what tomorrow

will bring. When I do sleep I dream theme's that had something

to do with the day. 'They' say dreams are images and thoughts

that were from the day and I believe that's true.

I took a sleeping pill called Temazapan for a week when I was

highly stressed and it worked literally 'like a dream'.

But I decided not to take them as my husband and I are trying

to have a baby and it's not recommended to take sleeping pills when

trying to concieve. So maybe that's why I worry about the future and

what the next day will bring...

Sunshine12, I am so in line with you. Whenever I can't sleep it is because I have so much on my mind. I can lay in bed for hours thinking about all that I have to do for the next day. I can plan and plan for hours. Sleep never comes easy.

Any fall-asleep-quick suggestions?