For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Too many squirrels

tonijon

There are too may squirrels in my yard.  I live on an island with lots of trees and wildlife.  My birdfeeders bring in woodpeckers, cardinals, chick-a-dees, and many other varieties I need to look up.  However, the squirrels are greedy little pigs that chase away the birds and help themselves to the seeds.  Anyone have a suggestion on how to control these little pests?

Good luck! They are agile little nuisances. We put a metal dome over the pole up to our bird table, and the squirrels took to jumping from the washing line. There are a lot of squirrel deterrant devices out there, but if you use one they will bypass it by jumping if the feeder is near anything they can climb. If you find something that works, please let me know.

Interestingly, I love these little animals. Nonetheless, they can be a big nuisance. There was a time when we had a lot of them at our backyard until we realized that it was the smell of fallen fruits and nuts that was attracting them. You could use safflower. These seeds are bitter in taste and the squirrels don't like them. Good luck though.

Edited by lelan254

• 3 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:59 AM, Kellis said:

Good luck! They are agile little nuisances. We put a metal dome over the pole up to our bird table, and the squirrels took to jumping from the washing line. There are a lot of squirrel deterrant devices out there, but if you use one they will bypass it by jumping if the feeder is near anything they can climb. If you find something that works, please let me know.

I think I finally found a method that would work.  I put the bird feeder in the middle of the yard so the squirrels could not jump from anything onto the feeder.  I have the dome underneath so they can't climb the pole and so far it's working.  I love it when they try to get to the feeder and can't.  There's a little evil in me going HEE, HEE, HEE!!