For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

What makes Breaking Bad so good?

arachnophobik

Breaking Bad, the movie that keeps popping up in articles every time you search for the best TV series of all time in google. This TV series has spawned legions of fans around the globe, leaving them wanting for more despite the fact that the series ended years ago. But if you've never watched it, then you might be asking yourself, "What's so interesting about it? It doesn't seem to have a lot of crazy visual effects, it doesn't seem to be carefully choreographed in terms of fight scenes, but how come my friends wont stop talking about it?". Well, let me tell you why:

1. Breaking Bad has amazing actors. The actors for breaking bad might've just hit their big break during the show but they are no doubt very professional. The entire series, you will feel their emotions as they progress through the struggles of keeping their big secret from their families, and you will feel them as they start to corrupt each other. The actors have been nominated for several awards, with most of the notable actors winning at least 1 Emmy, breaking bad will not just make you interested to watch, they will make you feel as if you're actually a part of the show.

2. Phenomenal writing. Breaking Bad had some of the best lines I've ever heard in any TV series, or even movies for that matter. Producer/Director Vince Gilligan did a very amazing job giving each character personalities that you would just love and hate at the same time. The writing builds up the hype for the main climaxes which makes the viewers feel the actors' emotions throughout each scene. You will find that you may hate one character for now, and end up loving them later, that is the magic of Breaking Bad.

3. Consistent Hype. The show was amazing from the first episode and up to their last. I myself have found that there is no episode there that made me feel even slightly bored. You will also notice a lot of ratings from different critics going from above average to extremely good. Breaking Bad is a masterpiece that might never be done again, and we could just probably hope that some day something better may take it's place, but for now it remains to sit on the throne for me.

season_5_banner.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Why do I love Breaking Bad? Let me count the ways! It's a show that is so good I wish I had never watched it so I could enjoy it all over again.  

The two main characters are in different situations, different backgrounds, different outlooks yet both are frustrated with their place in life and makes decisions to change it.  The characters are not perfect and seeing all the flaws is part of the appeal.  The problems on the show are problems that are shared by many such as money, relationships, and healthcare.  Breaking Bad provides characters and storyline that are relatable with characters that a viewer can't help but become invested in. 

For me, what makes Breaking Bad such a great show is the character development and the cinematography. The camera angles and editing used throughout the film offer us a unique perspective during various scenes that I hadn't seen in very many other TV shows. For example, the camera is placed underneath a "glass" table so we can see through it into the face of the character sitting near it as they begin to do a line of cocaine off the table. This was an incredibly unique and cinematic angle to take on an action we've seen a million times in movies and shows, making it fresh and interesting.

Most importantly to me, however, is the character development throughout the show. If you look at Walter and Jesse's characters on the very first episode and the compare them to their characters in show's finale, they're polar opposites of where they began. I found that their transformation was gradual enough to be believable. I can't think of another show I've watched where my feelings for the main character have changed so drastically over the course of the show. I rooted for Walt during the better portion of the show, but then I began do dislike him as he changed into a monster.

It's all very reminiscent of Pearl S. Buck's novel The Good Earth, in which a poor Chinese farmer inherits a small plot of land and begins to cultivate it. A humble man at first, he is treated well by the seasons and is able to produce enough crop to purchase more land and seeds, and soon has an agricultural empire in his possession. Because of this, he becomes greedy and condescending, forgetting his roots and transforming into someone completely different. I parallel the novel and Breaking Bad often because they remind me so closely of one another.

Volumes can be written on why "Breaking Bad" was such a good show. For me, however, the best reason is that it used an anti-hero as its protagonist. Walter Wight is a great example of how important it is for a villain to be relatable. You see him put under horrible stresses which provoke small compromises until he's gone from a meek and decent every-man to a raging monster. And yet, through it all, you root for him even when he's done the wrong thing because you can understand his motivations on some level. Even though you disagree with his actions, they are somehow made more human by the fact that Walter Wight was written as a well-rounded character instead of just a generic "bad guy" trope. The entire show hinged on the success of that narrative, and they did a wonderful job pulling it off.