For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Fandoms

sima1106

Fandoms have become an important part of our culture. There are sites, meet-ups, forums, fan-art, and so on - everything for fans of a certain show, movie, person, etc. 
I, of course, can understand the love for a certain something and the interest in a subject, but what's up with the explosion of fandoms and the fans' devotion to the content or person they like and admire?
I liked many shows and actors, or movies, singers, bands, but I have never really understood devoting so much time, attention and even money to something like that.
I'm sure you can learn a lot from any type of art you like, or a charismatic person you watch/listen to, but how does it become so relevant and take up so much of someone's life? 
I'd like to hear if anyone has a thought on this.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a fan of many things, but I never feel like the kind of fan that anyone wants.  I enjoy the media for what it is, and sometimes I dig a little bit to find out more, but then I move on to the next thing.  I don't get on social media and start movements.  I don't tell the artists how great they are.  I don't buy tons of merchandise.  I don't think most fandoms know that I'm loosely in their orbit.  It's hard to feel like part of something when people get so obsessive.  When I see conventions that are so laser focused I often wonder, from the outside, if the people involved have room in their lives for other interests.  Logically I tell myself that they must, but their passion burns so brightly that I can't see them as anything except the one thing they currently are inhabiting.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been part of some fandoms. I have a problem with obsessing over things. But more so than being a fan of, let's say, Harry Potter, I enjoy knowing other people who have the same amount of appreciation and knowledge. People have always bonded over common interests and the internet has made that so much easier. When you're in a community of people who like the same things as you, then you're probably going to dig deeper than you ever would on your own. Getting obsessed over these things isn't bad, I don't think. It can inspire critical thought, even if it is just about pop culture. Obviously, not all forums and communities go into deep talks about those sorts of things, but a lot of them do. I think it starts off as an interest in something, but it turns into loving the community. That's how it's always been for me at least. I've made a lot of real-life friends over the internet through fandom forums. But yes, sometimes I can take things way too far. Like I said, I have a problem with obsessing over things. It's nice to know I'm not alone though.