For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Studying Language is Not Enough

E.M. Skies

I have been studying Spanish for around eight years now, and I am just now getting close to the fluent level of speaking and listening. When it comes to writing and reading Spanish, I have always been more comfortable and confident in that aspect of learning. I have realized that when it comes to speaking Spanish and being able to understand a Native speaker, simply studying from a textbook is not enough. It is necessary to envelop oneself in the culture and constantly seek opportunities to listen to and speak Spanish in order to improve fluency. This is applicable to any other foreign language as well. Talking to Native speakers, watching movies and/or television shows in the target language, and listening foreign music are huge aidsĀ in improving fluency in a language.

I completely agree with you.

Thanks God we have the internet and its many free sources now, right? One doesn't have to stick to textbooks and old methods when learning a new language. We have many cultural productions (such as series, novelas or dramas, films, music, etc) available online, apps to aid your learning, penpal opportunities, and the list goes on.

I really agree with you. If one wants to truly learn a language, he/she must dive in the culture. Focusing only on grammar and vocabulary are not enough and won't get one much farther from the parrot kind of speaker.