For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Moving isn't much fun

suzeyhill

One of my best friends of many years is fixing to move.  My husband and I will be helping with her move.  My moving experiences have not been very good.  No matter how organized I try to be, the move turns out messy.  Does anyone have any tips or suggestions that may be useful in helping this move go smoothly?

Moving can be quite stressful, but here are a few quick tips to minimize that stress.

1. Leave your clothes on hangers and just group/cover them with garbage bags. That way you can put your clothes directly into your new closet without having to re-hang them and without them getting ruined in the transition process.

2. Make sure all of your items are packed prior to moving day. This eliminates personal stress and saves time for the movers.

3. Wrap all fragile items in bubble wrap or foam before placing them in boxes. Also remove all bulbs from lamps to minimize breakage in the moving process.

Hope those tips were helpful and good luck on your move!

• 1 month later...

All of my friends and family hate moving but I have always loved it! It gives you the perfect opportunity to purge all the junk you have been wanting to get rid of and have a fresh start! 

While I agree that leaving your clothes on hangers does save time it also ensures that you are bringing things you don't need. 

This is my process when moving (I have done it alot, I was an army brat) 

1. 4 months before put a piece of masking tape on every piece of clothing you own. After two weeks - a month if you have not taken off the tape decide if that is because it is for a special occasion/sentimental or because you just don't love it, another great way to do this is to look at the items and decide whether or not you would buy it if you saw it at a store. 

2. any items that are for special occasions or sentimental pack now and any others from the leftover clothes with masking tape put in a bag and donate. 

3. 2 months before go through old books and games and decide which ones you are likely to play/read again. Books can be an exception if you are moving somewhere with a library or if you are a book collector, but be ruthless with games. 

4. use newspaper to separate dishes.

I’m currently in the process of moving. The apartment complex that me and my fiancé are applying to has us jumping through hoops to get all of the paperwork they’re asking from us. However, they offer a large discount in rent because of where my fiancé works so I’m just hoping they are a lot easier to work with after you sign a lease. 

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed, moving can be stressfull.  Though I believe it can also be fun and go smoothly with proper planning and organizing.  Proper planning is mostly on plotting the timeline and workforce needed for the move.  Once you know that you need to move, start thinking of the necessary resources that you need - proper documentation if needed, packing materials and manpower. Then ask yourself when do you start cleaning up and packing.

Organizing is more on how you arrange your things so those are not scrambled.  It is literally putting the same things together, like all books in one box, all kitchen wares in another, etc.  It will also be better if you get a chance to do ocular inspection of your new place prior to the actual move so you would already have an idea on how to arrange your things when you get there.