For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Book or Movie ?

Puls

Considering that most movies and TV series are inspired by books some people prefer to read the book while others watch the movie. I prefer to read the book first because: the characters, the action and the universe in which they happen are more detailed than the film. But the most important thing I think is imagination and I say this because when you read your imagination it builds the characters, the things, the happenings and the places based on the details that are written in the books. Only after reading the book will I watch the movie to compare what I understand from the book and what is happening in the film. What do you prefer ?

• 1 month later...

Great subject! For me, it depends on the book/movie. A great example of a film that really follows the book is A Man Called Ove. I had read the novel and then I watched the movie, and I was so surprised at how well the film brought the book to "life!" I loved the book and I loved the film!  If you have not seen or read it, @Puls , it would be a good experiment for you to watch the film first, and then read the book, and then post your experience here. I'd love to know if you still have the same preference.

I think the challenge for screenwriters and directors is how to produce a film that is edited to reflect the book as closely as possible. Some of them change the ending or add a character etc. because they need to create what we consider to be "movie moments," but to me, this just means that certain stories are easier to reflect onscreen while others are much more challenging.

I believe we have yet to see a movie made into a novel :-) But correct me if I'm wrong! ha!

Some writers seem to create books that you could read or watch. John Grisham's novels come to mind. His first book, A Time To Kill, is such a magnificent work of art, and I'm glad I read it first, but it was a great film too, so in hindsight, I think I could have watched the movie first, then read the book. So I guess it depends on the book/movie!