For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Text or Communication

Lorna Edwards

Can anyone relate to this question; what happen to real communication?  I find it to be extremely impossible to communicate via texting.  If I contact someone and they are unable to communicate, it's okay to return the call at a later time.  Unfortunately most people would respond via text with a complete Novel; now that is so disrespectful.  I usually use text messaging to say I am busy or in a meeting; I am not looking for a pen pal via text.  In my opinion, texting is always creating some type of friction.

This is a very interesting question! I think that digital communication can feel less "real" to anyone who isn't used to it and has to adapt, so I sympathize with the sentiment. In some ways digital communication is different, but useful. On the other hand, digital communication is not as fulfilling socially and relationally, and in that sense I do wonder if it just isn't good enough as in person communication, or even using video and voice communication technologies.

I think context and individual preference determine what type of communication is used. There are so many other explanations for texting than "disrespect!"

I am the exact opposite and I think it is largely generational. Technology advanced so quickly in the new Millennia, and it seems to created a culture shock. Most humans prefer that change happen gradually or not at all, so that huge cultural shift that took place seems to have left us with quite the divide. Personally, I think either form of communication is acceptable and that you should be able to listen and compromise with those you care about and need to communicate with. I hate talking on the phone, but you better believe I still call my dad. However, my friends and I only call one another if we need a quick answer or are far away from each other and want to chat. It all depends on how much you are willing to do for those around you and where compromises can be made