For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Choosing the right guitar for beginners

Erik Stevens

I have always been concerned with an interesting factor of music playing, which is the relation between skills and instrument quality for someone who wants to start playing.

Since my expertise is about electric guitars, that's what I'll be exposing here. As someone who learned to play with really cheap instruments, I can definitely say that the hardest to play your first ones are, the more value you will give to a later, more expensive instrument you get down the road. It is complicated to confirm that a bad quality instrument will affect the overall progress of a beginning musician. since the subject doesn't have the set of skills to play well to begin with.

I think there are positive and negative sides to learning on an inferior instrument. I learned to play bass on a Fender Precision, one of the best, if not THE best bass guitars of all time. Thinking back, if I had learned to play on a poorly made guitar, I would have learned how to play that specific instrument, and would have a learning curve when I graduated to the Precision. I think, if budget permits, start with the best instrument you can. You will be ahead of the curve and won't  have to do a re-learn. And if you decide that whatever you are playing is not for you, the resale of the instrument and the loss you will take selling it won't be as great. Anyone else agree or disagree, this is an interesting topic.