For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Older Adults and Capacity

LAKnows

Both my parents are octogenarians living on a very rural farm. My father has Parkinson's Disease, while my mother is quite healthy. The problem is that my siblings believe it is time for my parents to move into an assisted living facility. My philosophy is a person should live independently with supports and services to provide a quality of life that is worth living; to the standards of the individual(s) (i.e. my parents). In many families, the disagreement about a parent initiates legal proceedings, which I want to avoid. I know that my mom would experience severe depression if they were forced to leave their home. Unfortunately, it's an argument in the near future, but I'm willing to take the risk and fight for their freedom. I want to know what you think should be the deciding factors of capacity and adult children making decisions for their parents.