For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Establishing Credit

TrashPanda403

My son just turned 19 and is applying for his first credit card. I've heard lots of conflicting advice about credit ratings, credit checks and how to establish a good credit rating. Does anyone have any solid advice on what a young person should do and should not do to establish and maintain a good credit rating?

• 4 months later...

Research is key in obtaining a good credit score. In my efforts to work on my credit score, I have done a lot of research. My advice is that he use a company that allows him to monitor his credit score. The one I use allows me to see my score, all positive, and negative on my report. This will allow him to see what/where he needs to focus his attention. Also, if he uses a credit card, he will want to keep his usage of the card between ten to thirty percent of the cards max. So for example, if the card has a one hundred dollar limit, he will want to use it for small purchases. Once the thirty dollars has been hit he will want to pay the thirty dollars back.

I got my first credit card when I was 21 years old. I wish I had known more about how credit cards work and how to better budget. If your son does not have a job yet, then I wouldn't advise he get a credit card. The biggest piece of advice I would offer is not purchase anything on a credit card that you can't pay off within 2-3 months to maintain a good credit ratio. My next piece of advice would be to pay a little more than the minimum payments on time to build credit.

To add to Kharl2310's comment, you can get a free credit report once per year from each of the three credit bureaus.