For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Should Priests Be Allowed To Marry?

Spontaneo

The topic of priests being able to marry-or-not is a tough one for me.  Could you imagine going thru life without experiencing sexual intercourse?  If priests were allowed to marry, I just do not think things would be the same again.  Priests are looked upon with respect for their sacrifice for the Church.  I thought about becoming a nun once.  But, then thought, I would never experience that little girl dream of mine to marry.  Priests give up that dream to actually marry the girl of their dreams.  So, the respect for priests, I think, would end, if given the opportunity to marry. 

Let's say you have a significant other. You and your other half are fighting a lot. How would you feel if you went to a priest--who may never even have had a girlfriend-- for advice about how to deal with your fighting? I wouldn't want to. (I'm also not Catholic; I suppose that should be a disclaimer.) I also don't think he'd have a lot of practical advice. 

Marriage is hard work. It's much easier to be single, leave your socks wherever you feel like, cook whatever you want to dinner, have the toilet seat be wherever you want it and not have to worry about what someone else wants. It's much harder to maintain a relationship with someone, especially for thirty, forty, fifty years. So I think marriage would actually make priests a better, more rounded person, even if it does make them a little more human too. 

• 5 weeks later...

Priests were actually allowed to marry in the past. Indeed only in the First and Second Lateran Council (1123 - 1139) it was decided to forbid the marriage for priests within the Catholic Church. 
So why not to let them marry again? I would prefer to have priests happily married than priests who cannot cope with their celibacy and end up in scandals.