For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

It never rains but it pours!

Silva

Maybe this is a UK expression, I don't know. It just seems that bad things come all at once.

I have been having trouble seeing properly for some months now but I just put it down to overuse of my computer. After all, I only got my new glasses 14 months ago. I was going to have an eye test but my optician told me that the NHS only gives us oldies a free test every 2 years, so if they found nothing wrong it would cost me £20. My husband and our own dear Britlady persuaded me that I should go and have the test, so I did and I now know that I have cataracts in both eyes. It seems that they are getting worse quite quickly so I have decided to have the operation to fix them. It sounds like a fairly simple thing, but I've never had any kind of operation, apart from a D & C when I had a miscarriage about 40 years ago, so I'm quite nervous.

As I was sitting here being nervous, I got a phone call to tell me that my niece had been taken to A & E in the early hours of the morning after her eighteenth birthday party because her sore throat had swollen and begun to bleed. They have induced a coma so that they can treat it with antibiotics and her mother is by her side. This happened two days ago and I'm pleased to say that the swelling is coming down and the prognosis is good, but I hope nothing else happens of a medical nature.

They do say it comes in threes!

Although I'm sorry that you need surgery, I'm glad that you went. It is such a simple surgery, no general anaesthesia needed and you will be seeing better within a matter of a few hours. It is life changing stuff, especially compared to going blind.

I'm sorry too about your niece-that's a pretty severe way to go for strep throat, but is what the NHS direct are looking for when you call about a kid's sore throat and they do their checks. She really did get it rough, and I hope that it doesn't happen that way again. Have they talked about removing her tonsils as a prevention-it may be considered a last ditch surgery nowadays but it HAS to be better than an induced coma.

Sheesh. You've earned your vacation!

Silva-I've had both of mine done.  You'll be thrilled when the swelling goes down a bit.  You will be amazed at how well you can see afterward.  The drops after are a pain to do but it's totally worth it.  Good luck and we'll be mentioning you and your neice to the Big Guy upstairs. ;)

Thanks guys. We're just back and feeling exhausted after spending 3 days with a hyperactive 18 month old and 4 year old! I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone about my niece so let's hope no news is good news and we'll hear later today.

Buddys, can you tell me please if they wait until one eye has recovered fully before they do the other one?

Now, back to work!

I agree-let's hope that means she is healing well.

Yes, they normally do one eye at a time-normally the worst eye first of course and then leave it for the first to heal. My mother's operations were about four weeks apart.

Thanks Jo, I'm trying to decide whether to have it done before we go on holiday or after. I'd hate to be in the middle of it all then have to put it on hold, but my eyesight seems to be deteriorating rapidly. Luckily close up work is still OK.

My niece is now out of her coma but still in hospital. I really don't know whether they will remove her tonsils. I expect they'll wait until she is fully recovered first.

Yes, I would imagine that after that, they would want her to recover strength first.

There would be nothing to put on hold really. I mean, if you had one done now, if you can get in, then your holiday in the middle-that would be fine. Wouldn't hold it up.

Only thing is-can you get it done that soon? What is the waiting time like currently? I know how poor the NHS can be for waiting.

Hmm, I have an appointment today with my GP as I have to have a diabetes test first then I'll telephone the number that the optitian gave me and see what the waiting time is like. Good thinking Batman!  ;D

Well I told you these things come in threes! My daughter in Dorset has just sent me a text to say that her 18 month old daughter is in hospital on a drip. I knew that she has had vomiting & diarrhea all day so no wonder she is dehydrated and hospital is surely the best place under these circumstances, but it must be frightening for such a tot.