For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Firefighters watched a house burn?

marvinmacs

In Obion County, one has to pay $75 annually for fire protection services. The penalty for failure is, you won't get any protection when you need one. Simple.

Check this out:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101005/pl_yblog_upshot/rural-tennessee-fire-sparks-conservative-ideological-debate

I have this nagging question inside me: Is something terribly missing here?

Yes, compassion and basic human kindness are missing. When the man was willing to pay the $75 (and more, from the article) right there on the spot, they should have been obligated to take it and do their job, at the very least!

• 2 weeks later...

I related this story to an American friend. He said that the man can sue the fire department for millions. He said the man would win.

Even if the man wins, all these are after-the-fact scenarios. It's clear that such a case would be unnecessary if there has been compassion in place. Perhaps the fire department has wanted the man to learn his lesson the hard way. But is that a good enough reason to just sit and watch a house burn?

I'm still shocked by what happened there  >:(

I don't know that the man could sue and win at all. The county doesn't have a fire department and has to rely on other counties to provide aid. This service costs money and while the man was willing to pay if they allow him to pay after the fact no one will pay in advance and just expect the fire department to show up any way. I am assuming however that if there had been people in the house they would have attempted to rescue them.

I am assuming however that if there had been people in the house they would have attempted to rescue them.

Who knows?  That might be an upgrade service, costing $100 per year... :D

The article said that this area didn't have coverage.  Might it just be easier to build a new fire station that would cover that area?

Who knows?  That might be an upgrade service, costing $100 per year... :D

This would be a very amusing scenario. Absolutely scary too.

Some businessmen in our area have actually banded together to create their won fire station. It's being operated by volunteer fire fighters. They have a much smaller fire truck, but the volunteer firemen are well-dressed. These businessmen are taking the care of their own businesses into their own hands, and the government has allowed them too. In fact, the government is grateful to their initiative because in big fires outside of their neighborhood, these volunteer firefighters help out at no expense to anyone.