For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Garden Time!

buddys

It's getting to be the time, in my neck of the woods, to start our vegetable garden. I'm excited! I love fresh fruits and vegetables from my own gardens. You don't even need much space to grow a few things as long as you tend the plants properly. I am getting ready to plant tomatoes, green peppers, corn, string beans and collard greens. I can't wait! Do you grow your own produce?

You must be in a lower numbered zone. I'm in zone 7 and starting now is actually starting late (and I, unfortunately, haven't started planting at all). I love fresh vegetables, too, though!

I love vegetables fresh from the garden.  Unfortunately, I have a black thumb even in good soil conditions.  Here in FL, trying to grow in the sandy soil is even harder.

We have a plum tree and two apple trees and already I can see that we will have a bumper crop off each, so hopefully we can get to them before the wasps do this year!

We haven't been able to set up a garden.  We have horses, and that takes up most of the land on the property.  I also live in Florida, and it is just like Spacelover said, you would be growing in sand.  It is amazing that grass can grow there.  Of course, you can corner the market on weeds! :D  Love vegetables, and am looking forward to visiting the fruit stand, because if there is one thing Florida can grow well, and that is watermelons! YUM!

I have not had a vegetable garden but I really want one. I have an area that I think would be good for it but I think I may have to replace the dirt in the patch. Do you think compost dirt from my dads would be OK, or should I buy the bagged stuff from the store?

If you have access to compost dirt, use that!  Compost is awesome for growing things and you can feel good about the food scraps and yard clippings that didn't go to the landfill.

Well here in Upstate NY it's too early to start our gardens.  You could start your plants in the house but not outside yet.  We are still getting a light frost 3 out of 7 nights of the week.

I can't wait to plant ours though - to me there is nothing better than going out back and bringing in veggies for dinner.  Bring it on I say!

Maker4ever - Compost is excellent. You don't have to replace your soil though. You can add the compost to it and it works really well.

Guys, you don't really need to plant in your soil if you don't have anywhere to plant or the soil is too poor. Just plant in large pots or five gallon buckets, that's what I do since I rent. I just use a good quality of potting soil and plant what I want. I use the same soil year after year, but I add fertilizer in the form of compost or horse manure to the potting soil if I'm reusing it.  I also use the Topsy Turvy planters for tomatoes and a hanging strawberry planter for strawberries. I also have a Gooseberry bush I've had in a large planter for quite a few years now. I can harvest enough to make a few jars of jam or a cobbler or two. Yum!