Sign in to follow this  
maker4ever

Developing an allergy to bees

Recommended Posts

maker4ever

I spent the entire morning at the doctor with my daughter. She was stung by a bee over the weekend and today started saying her throat hurt. Apparently she has developed an allergy to bees. She was stung two years ago and was fine, so I really didn't think much of it. Now I feel really bad for not being more active. I have never seen a bee allergy before so I was pretty clueless until today. I guess the swollen throat is a concern because if she gets stung again it could make her have trouble breathing. I have heard about EpiPens but now I have to learn to use one just in case. All I know is the whole thing makes me pretty nervous! Do any of you have experience with EpiPens?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spacelover8126

I haven't ever had to actually use an EpiPen but I hear they are pretty simple to use.  It's a shame your daughter developed a bee allergy; I thought it was something you were either allergic to or you weren't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
maker4ever

I know, when she got stung I gave her some Benaydryl and thought nothing of it. I even let her go to a sleep over. Apparently her foot had swollen up and she felt sick, but didn't want to leave the sleep over so hid it from everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buddys

Allergies to anything can happen at any time no matter how many times you have been exposed to them before. Bee allergies are nothing to fool with in particular, but please don't be afraid of the EpiPen. They are simply made and easy to carry. Just remember though, even if you use the EpiPen, you still need to go to the hospital to make sure everything is alright. Sometimes the EpiPen doesn't always do all of the job and is considered just an emergency stopgap treatment to be followed by further treatment by a doctor.

Just think of it this way, by using the EpiPen you are saving your daughter's life. So if you look at it as a difference between life and death, life wins every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Perfect7

Wow, that would be pretty scary! Yes, definitely look in to keeping an epipen available, since there is no way to be sure bees are not around at any given moment!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silva

Sorry to hear about this sudden allergy but at least it cannot now take you by surprise. Just remember that it could have been worse!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
maker4ever

Allergies to anything can happen at any time no matter how many times you have been exposed to them before. Bee allergies are nothing to fool with in particular, but please don't be afraid of the EpiPen. They are simply made and easy to carry. Just remember though, even if you use the EpiPen, you still need to go to the hospital to make sure everything is alright. Sometimes the EpiPen doesn't always do all of the job and is considered just an emergency stopgap treatment to be followed by further treatment by a doctor.

Just think of it this way, by using the EpiPen you are saving your daughter's life. So if you look at it as a difference between life and death, life wins every time.

Thank you, this is very useful information. I am nervous now, but now that I am getting educated I know that I will be able to use the EpiPen if there is an emergency.

@Silvia, your right, it could have been worse. In a way I am glad that I had a chance to find out about her allergy early on so that I will be prepared if there is an emergency situation. Perhaps this last allergic reaction was a blessing in disguise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this